Building a Timeline#
The first step to a successful contest is making a simple one-year timeline of tasks and milestones. Then, recruit, delegate, and coordinate. Are there tasks that must be done? Write them down on a list. Put them in your timeline. Then, do them on schedule. Otherwise, you will spend more time thinking and worrying about them than it would take to do them! Transform the bother into a string of kindnesses!
Planning a Timeline#
Start with last year's timeline. Be sure to include important dates and tasks from the Regional Contest Timeline. Your steering committee should maintain a "template" timeline and update it each year.
Here are some of the items that should be on timeline:
- Appointment deadlines (e.g. Chief Judge, Systems Manager, Registrar)
- Dates and tasks for steering committee meetings that
- set the Region-Specific Rules for that year,
- determine the host site or sites, and
- determine the RCD for the next contest year
- Dates for staff meetings (via conference calls for multi-site contests)
- Deadline for finalizing the Contest Program
- Dates for publicity
- Dates for team notifications
- Dates for staff notifications
- Registration cut-off
- The deadline for having the contest problem set ready
- The deadline for having the contest environment ready
- The deadlines for having T-Shirts ready
- The deadlines for having printed materials ready
Here is a sample regional contest task and timeline.